Friday, January 29, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I had an epiphany the other day.

Over the summer, I canned some chicken. Those glass mason jars are filled with chicken chunks and water/broth.

I used one of the jars of chicken in this recipe and used the broth to make my own cream of chicken. The result was delicious! If you ever use canned chicken, dont just drain it over the sink, use the liquid to make your own cream of chicken. I cant believe how easy it was!



for the cream soup/sauce:

In a sauce pan, saute a little garlic and onion
drain your canned chicken and reserve liquid
pour the liquid into a saucepan
in a separate bowl measure about 1 cup of water and some cornstarch. whisk well.
pour cornstarch mixture into sauce pan and turn on to medium heat, stirring continually
when the mixture starts to thicken (it will get really thick and almost solid-ish), pour in some milk until it is about the consistency of gravy. Add salt and pepper and any other spices you would like and VIOLA!

If you dont have precanned chicken, you can still make your own sauce. Boil your chicken in water and use some of that for the base of your sauce/soup.

I dont really know any specific measurements, I just dumped stuff together and layered it in a pan with corn tortillas

sour cream (I used about 1 cup)
chicken (I used one small canning jar)
grated cheese (I put some in the creamy mix and used some on top)
can of green chiles
black beans, precooked or canned (I used about 1 1/2 cups)
white beans, precooked or canned (I used about 1 cup)
cream sauce from above (what I had made about 2 cups)
corn tortillas

I layered this all in a 9 x 13 pan. then topped it with cheese. Bake 350 for about 40 minutes.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Have you ever tried using Better than Broth to make cream of chicken soup? I will put it on the blog when I find my recipe, it is easy and better than buying it already made, just like making a white sauce.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...