Monday, January 25, 2010

Macaroni Grill Bread

When I came across this recipe, I really wanted to try it. Although it has been forever since I have been to Macaroni Grill, I remember their bread being really good.

The first time I saw this recipe was on Sisters Cafe. I made 5 different batches of this bread...equaling out to 10 LOAVES!!! I could not get the consistency right for the bread and they always turned out flat.
I followed her recipe in exactness, then I tried adding whole wheat flour, then I tried cooking at a lower temperature, then I tried making one loaf instead of two...It was a bread baking nightmare.

FINALLY, when I was half asleep that night, it came to me. The reason why my bread was turning out so flat was due to the rising process.

In the morning, I started over again. I made 4 more loaves and FINALLY they turned out.
After all the trial and error, turns out this bread is really easy to make. And it whips up pretty quick.

I ditched the Sisters Cafe recipe and went with this one from Recipe Zaar:

1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons rosemary (fresh is best, but I used dried)
2 tablespoons butter


Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl (or mixer) and allow to become bubbly

Add in 1 T butter, salt, 2 cups of flour, and 1 TBS rosemary.

Knead for about 5 minutes in machine (Bosch, Kitchen Aid) until smooth and elastic. Add more flour if necessary.

Oil a bowl, put dough in it and cover with a towel.

Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled. (this only took about 30 minutes for me)

Punch down dough and divide in half and let it rest about 5 minutes.

Shape the dough into 2 small rounded oval loaves and place on greased pan.

Melt a few TBS butter and brush on the bread. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tablespoon of rosemary over the loaves and press lightly into the surface.

Let loaves rise again until doubled (this took about 20 minutes for me)

Bake in a preheated oven to 375°F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

3 comments:

Becca said...

I am trying these tonight! I am glad you figured out how to make them, cause I would've given up after the first try!

Becca said...

I made this last night and they turned out sooo yummy! We almost ate both loaves plus our dinner, I thought my poor tummy would explode!

Kobie said...

Made this tonight with dinner. Mmmm! So yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...