Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Loaded Sloppy Joes

I got this recipe from one of my idols. I love this girls blog and her cooking style.

The original recipe can be found here. I had to make a few minor adjustments. My version is as follows. This is a fantastic way to add whole grains into our families diet. I have not eaten many sloppy joes in my life, now that I have this recipe I will be eating them more often. I thought they were really tasty. I threw the leftovers in the freezer and we had them for lunch today. This recipe freezes and reheats well.

1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup cooked millet
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 onion, chopped - use the real thing, onion powder just is not the same.
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic - use real garlic here too
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 cups tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spread the meat around the pan and begin to break it up. Combine brown sugar and seasoning. Add sugar and spice mixture to the skillet and combine. When the meat has browned, add onion and red peppers to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook vegetables. Add garlic, grains, red wine vinegar and worcestershire sauce to meat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and paste to pan. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook mixture 5-10 minutes longer or until desired consistency.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...