Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Oven Baked Fries

My father in law has a potato cellar that he rents to someone who (obviously) has been storing spuds in it all winter. A few weeks ago, when it came time to sell them, all he could get for them was $1 per 100. YES! One penny per potato! That is ridiculously low! I guess the renter decided to forgo trying to sell them and is giving them to some local farmers for feed.

Of course, we snagged some (with permission) before he cleaned out.

Now we have potatoes galore! I have been thinking of things to do with them to try and use them up. This is the first thing I tried.

OVEN BAKED FRIES
Yum, they were so good.

We used 4 large baking potatoes (you could use however many you need to feed your family, just adjust the seasoning accordingly)

Wash the potatoes well
Slice them to desired thickness
Rinse them well to wash off starch
Lay them on a towel and pat them dry

Coat them in seasoning and bake 400 for 45 minutes. You will need to adjust cooking length according to thickness of your fries.

Seasoning:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup taco seasoning (I used homemade taco seasoning. You can use plain salt or a mix of paprika, chili powder, garlic salt, onion salt, whatever you think your family will like)
Put the seasoning and oil together in a bowl and whisk well. Toss in the sliced potatoes and stir to coat well. Pour on to baking pan and bake.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I have made these twice! The first time I followed your recipe,(except we had a store bought seasoning) but we didn't love the seasoning, so the next time I just mixed the potatoes in olive oil and baked them, so good and easy! Those potatoes from John are so huge I have only been using two to make fries with for my whole family!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...