Tuesday, September 7, 2010

MAGIC MIX

I was so happy when I found this base for cream soups. 3 ingredients, simple and easy. No fillers, enhancers, additives, or preservatives.

I have tried to replicate creamed soups a number of times. Some times it works, some times it doesnt.

I found a basic white sauce recipe in a book I borrowed from a friend.


It is easy, economical and nice to have on hand. Not to mention, it is a zillion times better for your health than anything Campell's can provide.

Magic Mix

2 1/3 cups powdered milk (use that food storage!!)
1 cup all purpose flour or 1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp.

Combine dry milk, flour or cornstarch, and butter in a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until it looks like cornmeal. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. Keeps up to 8 months.


4 comments:

RJ said...

So in my "Real Food" readings I always hear that powdered milk has the "bad cholesterol" and I forget the other things they don't like about it, but I'm wondering if you know of a substitute for it for your magic mix? Could I just use plain whole milk or something? Either way, I'm sure the addition of powdered milk is much better than the canned chemicals they add, just wondering if there's anything else you've tried too?

RPH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RPH said...

Powdered milk is certainly not a real food or a whole food, and there are quite a few people in that realm that give it a bad rap.
I have read a bit about it and weighed it out...I have 25 cans of the stuff in my basement so I want to figure out how to use it in things. I dont want to be stuck drinking it straight! gahck!

I am certain whole milk would work fine, as that is the base of a white sauce - milk and flour. Good luck!

RJ said...

Since I'm a terrible food storage-er so far, I don't own any powdered milk! Good luck using yours up though, and tell me, do you think I should sub regular milk at the same measurement as the recipes calls for the powdered milk?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...