Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Biscuits and Gravy

First off let me say: if you have ever made Bisquick biscuits, these are a million and one times better than those. Do yourself a favor, skip using the yellow box and try these biscuits. They are crispy on the outside and soft and light inside.

Biscuits and gravy is my favorite breakfast meal. And my kids like to help make it, so its win - win.
Our boys helped me set the table for dinner (we eat breakfast for dinner quite often). When I realized I had a plate with Lightning McQueen on it at my place, I opted to just take a picture of the food while it was still on the stove. I am not sure a CARS plate lends itself to a good picture.
(biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs)
Drop Biscuits

2 cups flour (You could use any combination of wheat and white. I use all wheat and they are still fluffy. If they turn out a little dense, they get smothered with gravy anyway, so it doesnt really matter.)
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
3 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup shortening ( I use Spectrum, its non hydrogenated)

Preheat oven 425. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add shortening and use fork or pastry cutter to combine until it looks like coarse meal. Add milk, stirring until blended. Scoop dough out by spoonful and drop on cooking pan. Bake 12 minutes

Gravy

Brown a little sausage and set aside. In the same cooking pan combine 1 1/3 cups magic mix and about 2 cups water or milk. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the sausage back in and serve over hot biscuits.

2 comments:

RJ said...

Would they work with using butter instead of crisco? I don't have any of the healthy kind on hand. I hate all that trans fat in the kind that Davey brought home to fry his french fries in!

RPH said...

At least, Davey is frying his own fries, instead of picking them up at Mc Donalds! Homemade is always best, even when it comes to fries.

I have a lot of "old fashion" cook books. Some of the biscuit recipes call for butter, so I would imagine you could substitute it straight across. Next time I make these, I will try butter and let you know. Or if you get to it first, be sure and report how they turned out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...