Tuesday, September 28, 2010

home made mac and cheese

I loathe Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. The ingredient list scares me and I dont even think it tastes very good. But apparently the American Public disagrees with me because according to a company spokesperson, "Kraft now sells more than one million boxes of the dinners every day"! Really? A million boxes A DAY? And how dare they call it dinner.

My little kids dont even recognize the famous blue box. We have eaten a few boxes of Annies Organic Mac and cheese in our time, but not enough for my kids to be huge fans. We only eat it about 2 times a year.

I am really trying to stick to a tight grocery budget this month, so I am forced to get inventive. Looking thru the cupboards, I realized I had some stuff that I could use to whip up some mac and cheese. It was really easy and pretty fast. Most importantly, it tasted like food.

Ingredients

  • 8 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained (we used whole wheat shells)
  • 2 cups fresh grated sharp Cheddar cheese (not the preshred stuff)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (not the powdered stuff!)
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used wheat flour)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 pinch paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick.
  2. Combine sauce and macaroni. Sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper.

I was just googling around for a picture and found this recipe:
http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/03/stove-top-macaroni-and-cheese/
I am going to try it next.

1 comment:

Bernie said...

I have a recipe for Mac and Cheese and my kids LOVE it! It is from Deceptively Delicious. She puts Cauliflower in it. The cauliflower just gives it a better flavor. So, if you ever want to make it healthier that is an easy thing to add. It's pureed by the way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...