Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Home made cream of chicken soup

please read here before continuing on with this post.

There are a few things that I absolutely will not buy at the store. On that list is the whole line of condensed creamed soups. I looked at the label on a can of Cream of Chicken Soup about 5 years ago. Then I took the can to the computer and googled the ingredients. After reading about all the stuff in those cans, I vowed to never have them in my house.

This takes just a little more effort than opening a can but it is worth it. Flavor, nutrition, texture...its all so good!

The magic mix I posted about earlier is very versatile. It can be used as a base for white sauce, creamed soups, even fudgsicles!

I busted out some cream of chicken soup with it a few days ago. Easy peasy. And delicious!

Last year, I canned a bunch of chicken so when ever I open a jar and strain off the water, I save it and put it in the freezer. It is perfect for adding to this recipe. You can also use chicken stock. If you purchase chicken stock, READ THE LABEL. We are going for nutrition here, so be sure to buy stock without additives, preservatives, flavor enhancers, sugar, or anything that shouldnt be in stock/broth.

Cream of Chicken Soup



1 cup magic mix
3/4 cup chicken stock/broth
1 t dried parsley (I didnt use any parsley)
1 t minced onion (optional)
1 t minced garlic (optional)
salt
pepper

Combine magic mix and chicken broth/stock. Stir constantly over medium high heat until mixture thickens. Add spices and continue whisking until all combined. Use this as a substitute for canned soup.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...