Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thai Lettuce Wraps

I know I always say I am amazed at the yummy-ness of recipes. This is another one. I could eat it every meal. And they were easy to whip up! Kaleb surprised me and kept eating and eating and eating. He ate as many wraps as I did. Andy even devoured them (which is unusual for him when it comes to something so closely related to a salad!)

There is not a good Asian food (Thai, Chinese, Mongolian...anything!) restaurant around here. After making this, I will stop searching and just make my own.

Lettuce Wraps
2 - 3 chicken breasts, minced (i think you could use canned chicken if you are in a hurry)
half red onion, finely chopped
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot (or more if desired)
2 cloves garlic, minced
soy sauce (I used amino acids instead)
lettuce cups (cut ice burg in half and peel cups apart) wash and chill ahead of time
2 cups cooked rice

saute onion in hot oil until tender, add chicken and cook til no longer pink. Add the rest of the ingredients, except soy sauce, and saute about 2 minutes. Dont over cook the veggies, you just want to get them tender, not mushy. sprinkle with soy sauce for flavor.

Scoop into chilled lettuce cups and enjoy. I had some wheat sprouts on my counter, so we loaded ours with sprouts. We also added those little crunchy Asian noodles. I dont have a very good camera, I took about 20 pictures and none of them do these wraps any justice. They are delicious!!

You could serve them with peanut sauce if desired. I liked the flavor just fine without the sauce, but Andy ate it.
Peanut Sauce
1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
3 T soy sauce
3 T water
2 T olive oil
chili paste if desired

cook in sauce pan on low heat until sugar dissolves. whisk smooth. stir and keep warm.

5 comments:

Kobie said...

I have to try these! Yum!

The Burtons said...

Yum! I can't wait to try these.

The Burtons said...

P.S. What are amino acids? And how do they compare to soy sauce??

The Burtons said...

Okay, sorry to comment so much but...
Holy Cow! These were delicious (and easy)!!! There wasn't a morsel left. We'll be making these regularly!

RJ said...

I'm making these today, I can't wait! BTW, I noticed you used grapeseed oil. Is that what you usually use in your cooking? Do you ever use coconut oil?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...