Monday, October 6, 2008

Dr Pepper Roast

I know not everyone is as fond of Dr. Pepper as I am. If you want to substitute, I am sure Sprite or something diet would work, you could probably do caffeine free Dr. Pepper as well. My assumption is any type of pop will work, but I have only ever used the real red can.

I have tried lots of roast recipes. Some of them have turned out great. This one is the best, in my opinion. Make a big batch and use the leftovers for burrito filling. The meat just falls apart, so shredding it for burritos is not hard at all.

Roast (i usually get 2 lbs or so)
12 oz. can Dr. Pepper
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 - 1 tsp. Creole Seasoning (I could not find Creole Seasoning in Rexburg. I used Cajun spices instead. They are almost the same thing. And neither one makes this spicy in the least. but you can omit if you are worried)

Throw everything in your crock pot and cook it on low for about 6-8 hours. Or high 4-6.
Remove the roast and shred or slice for serving.
Remove about 1 1/2 cups drippings and add a few TBS flour to thicken. Heat in a saucepan and use as gravy.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...