Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

I get lots of requests for this recipe. I am just going to post it here to share with everyone. I make it every week and have been for over a year, I have never had a batch not turn out. It is easy and beginner friendly too.

This recipe works best if you have a Bosch because it makes about 6 loaves. Using a Kitchen aid is fine too, just half the recipe.

Whole wheat bread

Mix until smooth:
2/3 cup gluten
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
5 cups of water (add slowly)

Then add:
3 T yeast
1 T salt
5 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 t vitamin C crystals (I have omitted this when I was out and it still works fine. If you cant find it, I think you'd be fine to leave it out)

Mix it all together until incorporated. Then add enough dough til the dough pulls from the sides. Your bowl should be absolutely clean of any bits of dough. Keep adding flour until this happens. (I usually add about 5 more cups of flour) Once your dough pulls from the sides, let your mixer do the work. Leave it on low for 6 minutes to knead.
Let it rise once in the bowl.
Punch down and shape into loaves.
Let it rise until doubled.
Bake 350 for 30 minutes

I use fresh ground wheat. It raises super fast. I also add different grains to my wheat when I grind it. Millet, quinoa, and kamut. I am going to start trying spelt too as soon as my order comes. I have had to order all those grains online but think I get a pretty good deal from and organic provider. They work out great and add lots of extra nutritional value to your (already pretty healthy) bread.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...