Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lion House Rolls (variation)

I used to make these all the time. They were the one recipe I liked and never had it fail. I got bored of it and branched out to other recipes and almost forgot about this one. I made them again for Sunday dinner and was reminded why I like this recipe so much. They are yummy!!!

Lion House Dinner Rolls
2 Tbs. dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, margarine or shortening (I always use butter)
2 1/2 tsp salt (I usually omit salt)
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
5 - 6 cups flour ( I used 2 cups wheat and 4 white)
1 egg

Combine yeast and water let it sit for 5 minutes to soften. Meanwhile combine sugar, butter, salt dry milk, 2 cups flour and egg. Add softened yeast. Beat together until very smooth. Add the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough pulls from the sides of your bowl and looks satiny. Place dough in an ungreased bowl and let it rise for about an hour. Punch dough down and knead a few times. Roll into desired shape.

Brush the rolls with melted butter, then let them rise again for about another hour. Bake 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. When I lived in AZ, I let these bake about 18 minutes, but in Idaho 12 minutes is enough. Watch them close, they brown easily.

I didnt get a picture of the finished product, we dug into them too fast!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...