Sunday, July 3, 2011

Texas Sheet Cake

Growing up, my mom used to make this for family gatherings. She would store the extra out in the laundry room on top of the dryer. I remember sneaking out A LOT to snag a taste. It is one of my favorite treats she makes.

This is the recipe she emailed me. (my husband does not care for nuts, so as you can see I have omitted them. My moms was always loaded with walnuts!)


Texas Sheet Cake

bring to a boil: 3/4 lb butter
4 T. cocoa
1 cup water

sift together: 2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
pour hot mixture over flour & sugar.

add: 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 teaspoon soda, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla.
mix and beat somewhat....
Pour into greased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

5 min before cake is done, mix and bring to a boil 1/2 c. butter, 6 Tablespoons milk, 4 Tablespoons cocoa.
remove from heat and add 1 pound of powdered sugar. Beat with mixer. Add 1 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Spread on cake immediately after taking from oven.


( I make my own buttermilk:
1 tsp. lemon juice mixed in 1/2 c. milk, mix first and let sit until ready to use)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...