Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mock Refried Beans

This is an easy recipe to make refried beans, without actually cooking them a second time. You just throw everything in your crock pot, let it cook away, then you mash it all up and VIOLA! Re fried Beans.

I cooked a big pot of these, and just put the leftovers in the freezer. They will be good for bean burros or tostadas on a night when I am in a hurry.

A LITTLE SIDE NOTE: I was lucky enough to have some delicious homemade tamales to eat along with the yummy beans. The tamales were the ABSOLUTE BEST I have ever had (and I have eaten a lot of tamales in my day!) My friend and her family buy whole corn, cut it off the cob and grind it themselves to make masa for their tamales. Which just supports my whole thinking on food, homemade is always best. Time consuming? Yes. But always best. Getting as basic as you can always yields the best results.

Re Fried Beans

1 large onion, diced (or about 1/2 cup dried onion flakes)
*About 4 cups dried pinto beans*see note below
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and diced OR 1 can of diced green chili for a milder flavor
4 Tbs. minced garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
salt
pepper
taco seasoning


Sort and rinse beans then leave to soak overnight. *(The beans will bulk up after a soak on the counter, so be sure and adjust the recipe to the size of your crock pot. I have a large crock pot so I had no problem fitting this into my pot.)

After beans have soaked for 12 - 24 hours rinse them really well and dump them into your crock pot. Add onion, peppers, garlic and cumin. Pour enough water in the crock pot to cover the beans. Let it cook on high for about 8 hours. Check to be sure the water does not get all absorbed in the cooking process and add more if needed. Once beans are are soft, turn off your crock pot and drain out the water, but reserve it for later.

Mash up the beans with a potato masher (I used a pastry cutter) If the beans are too thick, add in some of the reserved water. The beans should be about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

Taste the beans, if they need more flavor add taco seasoning, salt, pepper, salsa, cheese, sour cream, whatever sounds good until the flavor is to your liking.

I added in about 3 Tbs. taco seasoning and some salsa while I was mashing. Then my husband topped his bowl of beans with cheese and sour cream. Very versatile and easy dish.

1 comment:

S and B H. said...

These beans are yummy! I put them in my blender for more creamy refried beans. I also reserved some of the beans (whole not blended) for the freezer. Thanks Raygon for sharing the recipe and freezing idea with me! So glad you like the tamales! Maybe you can fly down next year and we can add you for a few dozen :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...