Sunday, November 7, 2010

German Pancakes and syrup

There are lots of German Pancake recipes out there. And people call them lots of different things. Hootenanny Pancakes, German Pancakes, Oven Pancakes...

I got this recipe quite a few years ago from a friends mom. We had taken a road trip from Arizona to Utah, and got in late at night. The next morning these puffy pancakes were served for breakfast. I had never even seen or heard of them, but loved them! I asked for the recipe and whenever I look at it, I still remember that long road trip and the kind gesture of my friends mother.

German Pancakes
(these are my pancakes with the syrup simmering in the background. There is also a pan of barley that i had just cooked up for Maggie)

Beat together:
6 Tbs butter, melted
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
whip them together really well, the more air you can get in them when whipping them the more fluffy they will be. Bake 425 for 25 - minutes.

while they are cooking, make the syrup:

1 cup sugar (I use honey but the authentic recipe calls for sugar)
2 Tbs. corn starch
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
2 cups apple cider (we had some fresh pressed cider and it was DELICIOUS!)

Incorporate all ingredients in a pan and simmer until its clear. This syrup is good on pancakes or waffles or any hot breakfast breads.

1 comment:

S and B H. said...

I am so going to try that! We love German pancakes and use the same recipe but I haven't tried that syrup! That sounds yummy and to substitute honey is genius! I don't like making things that use syrup because once we've had buttermilk syrup it's too hard not to continue! This looks like a wonderful alternative! thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...